Wednesday, August 18, 2010

8/17/2010 - Mexico City, MX: The Death Tunnel

Downtown Morelia seems like it's right out of a book. I feel as if I'm transferred straight to Florence, Italy. Fancy shops, big churches, and beautiful antique architecture everywhere.  It takes a few blocks from downtown to realize that your really in Mexico. It was great being a full on tourist on foot. Having a beer and getting some internet I really feel good about the past few weeks. It's been a ton of fun, and only a blowie from the gf and winning the lottery could make life sweeter. Putting off the ride to Mexico City. It's only supposed to be about two hours, according to the map. Wrong again. 

By being a cheap bastard and trying to avoid toll roads, I have to drive miles out of the way up mountains just to get to the next major city on the map. 5 hours later BJ and I breakdown and shell out the 9 dollars for toll roads to historical center of Mexico City. Now I've lived near LA all my life and I've seen some pretty bad traffic, but Mexico City beats it in a heartbeat. Just imagine downtown LA, with no city or road planning. 5 lane roads merge into one free-for-all one lane death tunnel. Crazy! Anyhow, unscathed and tired. I'm happy to finally get off the bike after a 6 hour ride. 2 hours! Man what was I smoking? I'm really going to try, and get better prepared for the next days ride, but that's another day. So whatever. 

Feeling like a true traveller, BJ and decided to stay in a hostel in downtown. It's only 12 bucks and they give you breakfast and dinner. Sounds good to me. Off to bed to wake up early and explore the 'New York of Mexico' tomorrow. 

3 comments:

  1. taylor....your mom reads this...geez!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep!!!! I read it and will block it from my memory :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why this says Aunt Lori... I'm mom!!! Going to try to fix it.

    ReplyDelete