Monday, December 6, 2010

11/17/2010 - Huaraz, Perú: Churro Situation

I'm pretty melancholy about my current churro situation. I'm sad that tomorrow I know I have to leave them behind. While on the other hand I'm so happy I had the chance to get to know them. I just had three after dinner, and I'm extremely full, but I still want to eat more of those little gems. For a grand total of a fifteen cents you get a fresh doughy, sugary crust, with deliciously sweet apple cinnamon filling. I would have discovered them earlier, but the night before I was all stoked to try one and the little sweet old lady that was selling them was asleep at her cart. I just didn't have the heart to wake her up. Had I known, I would have shouted at her, but since I didn't, I let her be. Definitely going to miss them, but as with all my recent travels I eventually have to leave them behind.

Having to leave Northern Peru was not as difficult, because one, I needed a shower, and two, I was happy to get out of the desolation of the desert. The camping was great, but I was eating up too many miles a day since there was nothing really to do or see. It was tiring to do two 300 plus miles day in a row, and see nothing change. It was totally surreal. Finally on the third day I got to see some mountains. I was certiantly happy for a slight change of scenery. Even though it was going to be a long drive on dirt roads it was still different and exciting.

Hills! So exciting.
Sunset from the top of a mountain where I camped for the night.

The road up the mountain was unlike anything else I've ever driven on. It followed a river at the bottom of the canyon for most of the way, but was dirty, rocky, and windy. A bit later I realized I was in the heart of Peruvian mining country. The hills were tall and sharp with plenty of ore crumbling away towards the valley floor. It seriously looked like I was driving into fucking Mordor. It's was spookier still, because often enough, these little one way tunnels would pop up around a corner or something. It was tough because before your eyes could adjust to the darkness, you were slipping on mud or heading straight for a wall or troll. It was such a bizarre and memorable ride. Really unlike anything I've ever driven on before.

Half expecting Shelob the giant spider upon entry.
Once I arrived at Huaraz, it was a pretty nice little mountain city. The next few day were lazy and otherwise uneventful. It was a nice change, to chill out and be a lazy bum for a bit. After all, it's my vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment