Sunday, November 21, 2010

11/9/2010 - Chimborazo, Ecuador: Goofy Peter Pan Hats

I'm totally stoked, I saw my first wild llama here in Ecuador. Soon enough, I'm going to try and ride one. I've got to do all I can to enrich my South American experience. Keep your eyes peeled for a retarded YouTube video. Anyhow, right about now I'm feeling pretty well immersed in the continent. There are short natives wearing their goofy Peter Pan hats, llamas all over, and ponchos have finally made it back into style. How nice, it's pretty much how I pictured it all in my head.

Spooky llamas in the mist
Ecuador is the about the size of Nevada, but what it lacks in area it makes up for in height. It has some of the grandest mountains I've ever seen. Right now I'm camping at the base of Volcán Chimborazo. It was a little adventure getting up here because my poor motorcycle was gasping and wheezing on the thin mountain air. Eventually, I pushed La Chupacabra about as high as I could then set up an early camp for the night. Doing some simple chores I found my self winded, and not realizing it was the elevation I was beginning to think I'd gone soft. Definitely not the case, because when BJ checked his GPS we were at a whopping 15,600 feet. (4770m) I've definitely never been that high, well if you don't count college. In fact, taking into account the equatorial bulge in the planet, the peak of Volcán Chikborazo is the farthest point away from the center of the earth. It was simply gorgeous to be above the trees, clouds, and vast empty valleys below. Playing guitar and watching the clouds whip by the snow capped volcano was a pretty nice way to spend a cold afternoon. Hands down, one of the best campsites I've ever been too.

Typical American
Some kick ass camping
Looking over the wold at the base of Volcan Chimborazo, Ecuador
The country of Ecuador gets it's name from being on the equator. That said, you'd think they'd put up a goddamn sign when you pass through it on the Panamerican Highway. Of course I drive right by the mofo, only to realize my mistake twenty miles south in Quito. Fuck. I'm sure it's no big deal for locals who pass it all the time, but when I drove 8,000 miles to reach the southern hemisphere and get a stupid picture with a sign. It's kind of upsetting. Oh well, I guess on the way home I'll watch water spin different ways or my compass act goofy. Just an imaginary line with sentimental novelty. Next time.

One of the first stops in Ecuador was Quito. Usually, I avoid country capitals like the plague. Because they're usually filled with a ton of traffic, bad drivers, too much business and too little culture. Quito is a bit different, even though it's a massive and populous city, it's not even the largest city in the country. Very anti Central American, and very welcoming. Our hostel has about everything, short of a good crowd, you might ever need. It's got cheap beer, ping pong, a pool table, comfy beds and a stunning rooftop lounge. Needless to say, I made myself comfortable the first day and wasted much of it relaxing, reading, and enjoying the view. So for dinner, BJ and I decide to hunt the town for some local cheap food. You can get a good meal with soup and drink for about a buck fifty. So after searching for about twenty minutes, we find the only thing around. The golden arches of McDonalds beckons us to have a meal. I give in and let the thought of delicious fries take over. And even though they didn't have the mystical McGriddles that are made out of magic and pixie dust, I was still happy to have stopped in. It was quite an experience eating there, for me it's usually just survival food, but down here there were young couples on dates, or families on their big night out. Totally different than what I'm used to at home. It's kind of like that Pizza Hut I saw in Paris; where people were eating their pizza with cloth napkins and forks. Well ok, I guess it wasn't that dramatic, but still.

Beautiful outlook over Quito, Ecuador
Randomly walking home BJ and I start taking with some Americans living in Quito. So after a beer and dinner, we all head out to down town to sample the local spiked cider, Canelazo. It's hot and goes well with the chilly night. Next stop was one of the many local bars with live music. More Canelazo and a few dances later everybody seems pooped, so we call it a night. The next day is filled with more hopeless tourism, and a motorcycle ride with our new found friends. All in all, it was a pretty low key, but still a fun visit to Quito. It's always nice to get something out of somewhere you would have never expected. Such is the life in Ecuador.

I'm going to miss this little country, first off I'll miss the prices. Everything is ridiculously inexpensive here, gas runs about dollar fifty a gallon and huge beers in bars are a buck. Sweet Jesus, there was this market in Otavalo, that if I had a hundred bucks and enough space on the bike, I would have been able to buy so much cool stuff. Goofy hats, ponchos, hammocks, arts and crafts galore. Looks like everyone is getting souvenirs from the last country I visit. Ha! Sorry team.

Market in Otavalo, Ecuador

2 comments:

  1. You Said..."a whopping 15,600 feet. (4770m) I've definitely never been that high, well if you don't count college....." Taylor John!!! What the heck... I'm shocked!!! Kind of funny though.

    I LOVE, LOVE the picture of you playing the guitar :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! It was too funny of a joke to pass up. ha! Thanks mom.

    ReplyDelete