Thursday, March 31, 2011

3/31/2011: Buenos Aires - Status Update

Life is all but too easy here in Buenos Aires. I´ve got a great home, shitty job, and a pretty stellar group of friends. It´s just like real life! It´s all very new, but reminds me very much of my so called normal life back in the States. I think it´s because I actually have a job again. Fuck working. It´s really hard for me to adjust to this job. I´m working as a front desk lady in a cool hostel, but oh my god is it boring sometimes. At least when there are people out and about it makes the job much more enjoyable. But really there´s only so much time you can watch House and stalk ex girlfriends on facebook before you get bored. It´s funny that even though this is a shit job, I still find myself taking this it way too seriously. I get offended when a coworker or boss points out a flaw in my work, or when I´m anything less than a model employee. Not really the point of getting a brainless job, so I´ve decided to stop giving a shit, and pursue my original goal in South America: have the time of my life. Soon enough I´ll be done with this high paying monkeys job and get back on the road. I´m getting the stir crazy, excited feeling about getting back on the bike. I´ve somehow talked my Danish friend Teresa into coming back for round two on the bike. Hopefully I can keep the bike on two wheels this time around because we have plans on visiting the largest country in South America: Brazil. I´m pretty excited to see her again, get back on the bike, and try embarrassing myself speaking Portuguese. Should be fun.


Meanwhile in Argentina, I´m finally picking up their ridiculous accent, and I´m really getting into the big city life. I remember in Panama City I spent two days running around doing motorcycle related errands. By the end I pretty much accomplished nothing but waste my (extremely valuable) time. Here is Buenos it´s a different story. I went to change my oil, get some parts welded back together, get a car wash, and fix some bolts. I had to drive four blocks, and it took all but an hour or so. I fucking had those errands scheduled in for a whole day, now I guess it´s time to kick back with a beer. It seems pretty typical here that when I want to get out of the apartment and run around the city for a while it takes me like ten minutes to complete my tasks because everything is so damn close. It´s a good and bad sometimes because I only work three or four days a week, and I´ve become some lazy bum hanging around the apartment for way longer than what´s healthy. Good thing this is a very cool large city with plenty of places to explore, or else I´d think I go effing crazy staying in one place for so long. Let´s just say I do a lot of people watching / walking around different neighborhoods.

I´ve been lucky enough to meet some good people here too. My besties / roommates took off for a quick concert in Salta while I was stuck at work for a few days. I was pretty jealous when they left because it was the first time my job forced me to miss out on some good fun. I was left in this city ready to make my own good time. I had the weekend off, so I called up some friends and met some more cool expats. I was being lazy since I went to an English bar and hostel to see some live music. Not really Argentinian, but whatever it was still a good weekend. Time to get back to my albeit boring life here in the big city. More stories to come as soon as I hit the road again. Chau.

No comments:

Post a Comment